Types of vaccination and dosing.
This year there are two types of vaccination.
- live attenuated influenza vaccine (LAIV)
- 2-12 years unless contraindicated.
- 2-8 year olds may require a 2nd dose 4 weeks later if 1st time getting a flu vaccination, or if the vaccination history is unknown.
- inactivated quadrivalent influenza vaccine (QIV)
- 6months to 9 years, may require a 2nd dose 4 weeks later if 1st time getting a flu vaccination, or if the vaccination history is unknown. (where LAIV is not suitable)
- All patients 9 years and over who are post stem cell or solid organ transplant, need 2 doses 4 weeks apart if getting the vaccine for the 1st time port transplant
- Cancer patients who received the vaccine while on chemotherapy and who complete their course in the same season, need 2 doses 4 weeks apart
- All others, one dose.